Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Snow-pea, carrot, wheatberry, toasted almond salad with homemade vinaigrette


This is the recipe I've been working my way toward. You know how to make the vinaigrette I've been addicted to for a few weeks now. And you know how to cook up your wheatberries. And it just so happens snow peas are in season!


2 cups of fresh washed, stems-removed snow peas (I like to cut mine in half)

1 1/2 cups of matchstick cut carrots

1 1/2 cups of cooked wheatberries (see previous post)

1/2 cup toasted almond slices

3-4 tablespoons of homemade vinaigrette (see previous post), or to your liking


Blanch the snow peas in boiling water for about a minute. Drain. Then run them under cold water until they're cooled.


Mix the snow peas with the carrots, wheatberries and vinaigrette. Right before serving, add the toasted almonds. This salad is superb. I could eat it all day long!
Feel free to change it a bit to mix it up. You could add different vinaigrettes - I am going to try Trader Joe's Oriental Ginger Sesame dressing on it tonight. You could also add different vegetables or nuts - I had it last night with honey roasted peanuts.

1 comment: