Wheatberries are available in the bulk food (bins) section at most supermarkets these days. They're extremely high in fiber and protein - both of which most of us could use more of.
Wheatberries are the original, unadalterated form of wheat - which means the most whole grain nutrition and fiber available. It ranges from 99 cents to $2 a pound. I usually cook up several cups of wheatberries at a time because of the long cook time, and freeze them so they can be quicky reheated and served.
For the recipe I'm going to feature next (which is why I'm posting how to cook up wheatberries) you'll need about 3/4 cup of uncooked wheatberries.
First, dump them in the pan they'll be boiling in. Then, I cover them with water and dump most of it off, and repeat that process until the water runs clean, about 5 changes. The wheatberries themselves sink to the bottom of the pan, so I find I don't lose many by not using a sieve.
For the final rinse, leave them covered with a few inches of water and place on the pan on the stove. I usually don't cover the pan. Bring it to a boil. Keep adding more water until they've boiled for about an hour and 15 minutes. You'll definitely need to add more water throughout this time.
Sample the wheatberries. If they're too chewy, continue boiling. They should kind of "pop open" at the seams when cooked through.
OK, so now you have your cooked wheatberries. You can drain them and freeze what you don't want to use right now. I recommend about 1 1/2 cups for this recipe...
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wheat berries are great. I like to soak them in water over night before cooking. This reduces the cooking time and, in my opinion, produces a little tastier berry.
ReplyDelete