Thursday, July 30, 2009

Outstanding carrot cake

This is the best carrot cake I've ever had. The cranberry sauce really adds a subtle nuance and makes it really moist. The recipe below fits into a 9x9 inch square pan. Honestly, the original recpie called for cooking oil and that's what I've always used. But I am confident using butter would improve the already wonderful flavor.

Grating the carrots is sort of a pain, but it's worth it in the end. I don't pack the grated carrots down hard, but I shake the cup a little to even it out.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 of a small box of jello pudding mix (original)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup of shredded carrots (you can use the bigger side of the grater, the carrot pieces are still pretty small)
1/2 cup canned cranberry sauce
1 cup granulated white sugar
2/3 cup butter, room temperature (cut it while still chilled!)
2 eggs

Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs and beat until well-combined. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (everything else). Add it to the eggs, sugar and butter mixture. Pour into greased and floured 9x9 inch square cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for... I think about 50 minutes. That would be my guess. Test for doneness with a toothpick. when it comes out clean, it's done!

If you wish to double the recipe, it fills a 12" bundt pan. Baking time for that is closer to an hour and 15 minutes.

A good cream cheese frosting would do this cake justice!

If anyone makes this take a picture and email it to me so I can post it!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW, I'm totally gonna try this next week, if I remember I'll make it Monday and bring it to the 'House on Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. turned out awesome, shame you missed it at the House, I took some pictures of it for you

    ReplyDelete