Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Smoked fish spreads

I've been eating quite a bit of smoked fish spreads lately. I have to get my fish fix during the week sometimes, you know!

These spreads are good on crackers, I generally select one that doesn't have much flavor so it doesn't end up competing with the strong taste of the smoked fish. You could also dip vegetables in this...

Smoked trout spread
Mix together:
1/2 pound of smoked trout, deboned, flaked (I usually toss the skin, too)
1/2 stick of room temperature cream cheese (your choice - regular, light, etc.)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of dried dill (I usually buy it in the little clear bags in the produce section)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Feel free to adjust the dill and lemon juice to your tastes. It will thicken up when kept in the refrigerator, so it's best to start thicker then add more liquid if need be.

Smoked salmon spread
Mix together:
1/2 pound smoked salmon, deboned, flaked, no skin
1/2 cup mayo
1 full stick of room temperature cream cheese (your choice - regular, light, etc.).
4-5 green onions, trimmed or chopped into small pieces (use the green and white parts)
Add some water to thin this for spreading or dipping. Make sure to add it gradually.
You can top this with some pecan bits or crushed pecans if you're serving it for company and want to make it look more special!

No comments:

Post a Comment