Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blueberry coconut pancakes

I've been getting better at pancakes. I used to be terrible at them. I've mastered the basic pancake, so now I'm getting creative with them.

Among the secrets to a perfect pancake is to find the perfect temperature setting on you cooktop for pancakes. For ours, it's just shy of medium heat. You will want to preheat the pan before you put ANYTHING in it. Give it a good 10-15 minutes to preheat.

This recipe makes about four 5-inch diameter pancakes. Double it for more.
In a mixing bowl put:
1 large egg
3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup Bisquick baking mix
1/8 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup milk or cream (your choice)
1/2 cup of steel-cut oats soaked overnight in water, soymilk or milk (this is post-soaking measurements)

Blend the ingredients gently until incorporated. You will probably need to add additional liquid. I prefer adding water since I generally use cream in the mixture in the first place.

Another secret to pancakes is getting the right consistency to the batter. You want the pancakes to be thin enough to cook through all the way, but not too thin so they aren't slightly mounded in the center. Your best bet is to go easy on the liquid, then try making a pancake, and adjust the batter accordingly if needed.

Before trying one, lightly spray non-stick spray AND add a 1/2 pat of unsalted butter to the preheated pan. Roll it around the pan until it's melted and evenly distributed. The butter is key to a golden crust.

Drop some batter into the pan. Try a 1/4 cup scoop for an approximate guide. Let it sit. Be patient. While you're waiting here's how you can make them unforgettable.

Generously sprinkle some shaved unsweetened coconut flakes on each pancake while it's cooking. You want the coconut to sink slightly in the battery side of the pancake. Be generous now. Unsweetened coconut will eliminate any chance of you burning the coconut before the pancake is done.

When the pancake begins to bubble up in the middle, you can flip it. It will only need to cook just a little longer to be done.

Viola. Blueberry coconut pancakes. We really loved these. Especially how the warm blueberries exploded when we chewed them, and the toasted coconut reallly topped things off.

These are great with maple syrup, or even a pureed mango and coconut milk mixture.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm these sound amazing Candy-pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally think pancakes are fairly boring. These pancakes were delicious! I'm a big fan of coconut with other fruit in my pancakes now. Yum.

    ReplyDelete