Alright folks, I normally don't do this. But I'm going to throw in a free advertising plug for those of you who have been *waiting* to stock up on some of the foods I mention in my blog.
Maybe you've scoped out the bulk food bins at a local grocery store, but were a bit put off by the prices posted. Now's your chance to get stocked up on some of these items for absolutely the best deal possible.
Through Friday, Jan. 8, Gordy's locations in Chippewa Falls (downtown and Lake Wissota) as well as the two locations in Eau Claire, are offering 20% off of organic food. Pretty much, anything in their specialty/health food aisle. WOWZA!
Especially with the discount, don't let the prices per pound scare you off. You'd be surprised how much prepared food volume you end up with in a single pound of dried grain.
Some of my favorite things and how I like to use them:
Chickpeas - Making the Mediterranean garlic/oil/parsley/lemon dip, hummus. As of late, I've been roasting the chickpeas whole and also pureeing them into soups.
Rice - With some roasted garlic, salt and olive oil as a simple side dish. Or in soup to add bulk.
Wild rice - Stir in a bit of butter, splash of cream and salt for a savory treat.
Steel cut oats - Soak overnight in your favorite breakfast liquid (soy milk, almond milk, chocolate almond milk or regular milk) with dried fruit for an amazing, chewy and zero-effort breakfast. If you can pour milk on cereal, you can do this one.
Cracked wheat - Try your hand at making my sundried tomato tabouli, or simply cook some up in place of couscous for an FAST, awesome and creative side dish.
Wheatberries - chewy and luscious, I add these to green salads for some added bulk and a ton of whole grain goodness. Cook a bunch and freeze them, for a zero-effort quick addition to tonight's dinner.
Barley - I recently discovered that barley is one of my favorite additions to soup. It really lends a creamy, chewy texture and makes any soup eat like a meal.
Oriental rice crackers - I just love these. I remember eating them as a child and still delight in the sweet-savory crunchiness these offer. You haven't tried them? Why wait.
Those are just a few of my favorites. You'll also find beans, flour, chocolate, dried fruits (in little bags next to the bulk bins) and nuts.
I picked up some other things at a great price, too. For $25 (approx $34 value) I got: A container of organic miso, half a grocery bag full of grains/dried food, a quart of Stonyfield Farms organic yogurt, a box of Almond Crisp crackers, rice cakes (tamari and seaweed, my fave), and two small bags of oriental rice crackers.
If you've been waiting to try some of these things, now's the perfect opportunity. No more excuses!
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment