
This was quite possibly the best pizza I've ever eaten. Holy yum.
I used a pre-made frozen pizza crust of medium thickness as a base. I haven't mastered making my own dough, so went with that.
This recipe begins with chimichurri sauce, the recipe for which is on one of my earlier blogs. Make that.
Ready? Now, you're ready to pick up here.
I first preheated the oven to 400 degrees.
While that's heating, prepare your topppings:
1 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced in small pieces
1 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced in small pieces
1/2 of a green pepper, diced small
1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 8 oz. container of fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 huge or 2 small roma tomatoes, in medium sized chunks (get rid of the seeds and liquid, you won't want this on the pizza)
You'll also want a small pile of clean, dry spinach leaves and about a quarter cup of crumbled feta cheese. I used reduced fat plain feta.
When the oven's ready, brush the plain crust liberally with olive oil, then sprinkled moderately with garlic salt. Make sure to get the edges. I baked that for 8 minutes in the 400 degree oven. Remove the crust. Generously spoon the chimichurri sauce on the crust as your first layer. You want to get the chimi as far out to the edges as you possibly can. I think I used about 1/2 cup of chimi on a 14" (?) crust.
Now start layering your ingredients. I started with the spinach. You want it to just loosely cover all the chimichurri. Don't worry, it'll wilt down. I then added the mushrooms, pepper and onions, followed by chicken and second to the last, tomatoes. Finally, I topped with the feta. I then sprinkled just a tad of red pepper flakes over the entire pizza.
Pop it in the oven and when you put it in, turn the oven down to 350 degrees. It baked at that temperature for nearly 30 minutes until the cheese started to brown a touch. We then broiled the pizza for another couple minutes, watching carefully.
I really loved how the tomatoes dried out and almost were like sundried tomatoes. I have never made a pizza using chimichurri sauce and wow I definitely will be doing that again. I wasn't sure if it would be flavorful enough but it did not disappoint. Such a different but WONDERFUL flavor!

No comments:
Post a Comment